Monday, August 13, 2012

Sushi At Home & Sesame Noodles

I've been threatening for some time to try my hand at making sushi at home.  No easy task I know! At least for now.  I have a Korean friend that makes it and informed me that "once I get the hang of it, it's easy"...um, ok.  I've heard that about mostly everything new I try.  She did say that the Sushi kits are a waste of money and to just buy the rolling mat.  So I did.  I found a recipe for Sushi rice here and bought Nori at my fave asian market (same store I purchase 25 lb bags of jasmine rice at a steal).  I know my first try isn't going to be pretty but will taste pretty fab. How can it not? I'm making a few different combos using crab stick, avocado, cucumber, cream cheese, green onion,  and carrots. 

I didn't put the rice in the fridge to cool like some suggest.  I let it sit aside while I got the sesame noodles going. 


 I know my first try isn't going to be pretty but will taste pretty fab. How can it not? I'm making a few different combos using crab stick, avocado, cucumber, cream cheese, green onion, and carrots. 
Not Too Shabby

I put the sushi rolls in the fridge to chill while I waited for hubs to get home then sliced right before serving.  Sliced right through them with no issues.

I'm pairing this with Sesame Noodles.  This is the second time I'm making the noodles and they really couldn't get any easier.  I use rice noodles (also purchased at the asian market) but you could use regular spaghetti noodles.  The whole wheat kind would hold up best.  This can be served warm or as a cold salad. 
Sesame Noodles

Sesame Noodles

1 lb rice noodles or whole wheat thin spaghetti
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tbs olive oil
5 tbs sesame oil
6 tbs soy sauce
3 tbs agave or sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
4 green onions, sliced
2 tsp sesame seeds

Cook noodles according to package directions and set aside.  In large pan, saute garlic in olive oil (careful not to burn) til soft.  Add sesame oil, soy, agave/sugar, and ginger and bring to boil.  If using sugar, make sure sugar is dissolved. Turn off heat.  Add noodles and toss to coat.  Continue until most liquid is absorbed.  Add green onions and sesame seeds.  Serve or chill.

Tweaked from All Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment