Thursday, August 2, 2012

Healthier Low Fat Bran Muffins With Flax


 This is the last day of my hiatus.  As I sit in this crowded airport awaiting the arrival of my delayed flight, I look at the pathetic excuse for a muffin I shelled out way too much money for and think “oh my muffins are soooo much better”.  I could have easily purchased the ingredients needed to make a whole batch of muffins for the price I just paid for this!  I continue to peer at this dry little guy .  Perhaps there are gold flakes in the batter?  I envision the beautiful, moist bran muffins I made before I left and picture the man devouring them.  Of course there won’t be any left when I get home tonight but you can bet there will be some coming out of the oven first thing tomorrow!  On that note, I give you my low fat bran muffins.  I added ground flax because I’ve replaced half of the brown sugar with molasses thus added more moisture.  You can replace the flax with oatmeal or omit the flax and molasses and double the brown sugar.  I sprinkle the tops with oats but you can also use flax or raw sugar.  I use apple sauce in place of equal parts oil, whole wheat flour,  and you can cut cholesterol by using 2 egg whites instead of the whole egg.  This is a super versatile recipe! Try adding nuts, coconut, carrots, or other fruit. Tweak it up and share in the box below :)
Healthier Low Fat Bran Muffins With Flax

Healthier Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cup bran (oat or wheat)
1 cup reduced fat milk OR buttermilk (lemon juice/vinegar not needed)
1 tbs lemon juice or white vinegar
1/3 cup applesauce OR oil
1 egg OR 2 whites
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup ground flax (omit if not using molasses)
3/4 cup raisins

Preheat oven 375.  Mix milk and lemon juice/vinegar (or buttermilk) and combine with bran and let stand.  Mix flour, soda, powder together.  In another bowl, beat applesauce/oil, egg, sugars, vanilla and add to bran.  Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined.  Add flax and raisins.  Fill paper lined or greased muffin tins and sprinkle with oats or flax.  Bake 15-20 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.  Makes 12.

Tweaked from All Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment