Sunday, August 19, 2012

Slow Cooker Stuffed Sweet Peppers

I've been plagued with poison ivy this week and unfortunately haven't felt like going too crazy in the kitchen. But I'm a food addict, so I decided the slow cooker is my new bestie. It is tweakable, forgettable, and oh so forgiving. The produce drawer in my fridge is stuffed full this week, so it's Stuffed Peppers darlings. This can be done many different ways using different colored peppers, meats, and fillers. Try quinoa or brown rice in place of my go to Jasmine. I used ground turkey but you could use beef, chicken, or go meatless and load up on veggies such as zucchini or eggplant.  This recipe is low fat and can be as healthy as you want to make
it!
Stuffed Sweeties


Stuffed Sweeties

2 1/2 sweet peppers, seeded and halved (I used red and orange)
2 tbs olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
2 sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 cup cooked rice
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 tsp soy sauce
1 10 oz can condensed tomato soup
1 10 oz can of water
parmesean or shredded cheddar cheese

Saute garlic, green onions and italian seasoning in oil til soft.  Add ground turkey and cook til no longer pink.  Add tomato with juice then rice, making sure to break up rice with spoon to mix evenly.  Sprinkle with soy sauce and mix until combined.  In slow cooker, place soup and water.  Arrance cut side up peppers on top and fill with meat/rice filling.  Cover and cook on high for 4 hrs.  Sprinkle with cheese before serving, covering with lid to melt.  I had a little extra filling and ate it for lunch the next day with some of the juice from the slow cooker on top. Yum!

Tweaked from Food.Com

No comments:

Post a Comment