Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Easy Cheesy Ham Potato Soup

First things first, thanks for showing up. If you've had a chance to poke around my page you've probably noticed this is my first post.  I love to cook:  the creation, the tweaking, the trial & error.  Let's not leave out the best part, darlings...the eating!  If you're still reading this, chances are you feel the same way I do.  I love finding ways to save time in the kitchen and to cut a little fat and calories here and there while still pumping out a pretty fabulous meal.  So if you want to impress your friends and family and keep it cool when the kitchen starts getting hot, stick with me.

Easy Cheesy Ham Potato Soup

I fired the stove up around 6 and my love and I were devouring this delectable dish by 7.  Serve it with crusty bread/salad and if there's any leftover, it's even better the next day.  To cut fat and calories, I've successfully used 1% milk,  turkey ham, and whole wheat flour in this and no one was the wiser.


Ham Potato Soup (Serves 6 with plenty leftover)


4 medium red potatoes, peeled and 1"cubed
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 tbs butter
3 tbs flour
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups cubed ham
pinch cayenne
couple dashes garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste


Bring some water to a boil (enough to cover potatoes) and cook potatoes until tender, reserving a cup of the cooking liquid when done.  While that's going, saute the onion in butter until translucent.  Add flour and spices and cook for 4 mins.  Stir in  the cooked potatoes, milk and reserved liquid (add more water if there isn't enough to make one cup).  Mix in cheese and ham. Simmer around 20 mins and you're good to go.

Tweaked from Family Recipe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment